22 mile long run
Happy Hump Day Friends!
My mother-in-law, Terry, sent me an interesting article a few days ago which addressed the importance of CHIA SEEDS in one's diet. I've been consuming those black little seeds for about 3 years now and I never knew just how important they are.
You're probably singing "Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia" as in, the Chia Pet figurines that were totally cool in the 90's....
Yes, that's it!!
They even come for real-life dogs!! (Where have I been? Helllll-o?)
Anywho, if you're thinking about the Chia Pet seeds then you're close enough because they are from the same family. However, these are the chia seeds I'm talking about:
I typically eat 1 tablespoon a day with my protein shake. They are flavorless and you could add them to any meal.
Here's what I discovered about the benefits of the chia seeds:
1. It's a superfood with 11 grams of fiber per serving. That's 41% of your recommended daily value for fiber.
2. They are loaded with omega-3 and omega-6, which are the essential fatty acids that are needed in one's diet. If you're not a fish-eater, then you could supplement that with the chia seeds.
3. The seeds provide 6 times more calcium than milk.
4. They are high in anti-oxidants, which protects our bodies from free radicals.
5. The seeds are considered a "complete protein." This allows you to perform better in sports because your muscles will get the nutrients they need to be stronger.
You could add those little ant-looking seeds anywhere, I mean anywhere! You could add 'em to your smoothies, cereals, yogurt, water, etc...
Have you ever heard about the chia seeds? If so, how have you consumed them?
By the way, I officially got my bib number today for the Boston Marathon:
#2737!! First wave!!!!!! Wooo-hoooooo =)