22 mile long run
Since Spring time is the season to dust off cobwebs and start things anew, why not re-vamp your refrigerator with goodies that will make you feel good? Yes, I'm talking about healthy food substitutions. Most people dread hearing the word diet, so do I! I hate that word because no one should ever be on one. I prefer using the word lifestyle.
Eating healthy doesn't have to be a pain--it could actually be fun. Take me for example. I don't drink as much water as I should. Call it laziness or forgetfulness, but here's a trick I use to drink more water: Add mint leaves and cucumbers!
Just add a few mint leaves and half of a cucumber.
I'm not a fan of products that contain synthetic sugar like Crystal Light, so I go the natural route.
Here are some other ideas you could use as food substitutes:
1. Applesauce instead of butter or sugar when baking
2. Nonfat Greek yogurt instead of mayo or sour cream (depending on the recipe). Or if you feel inclined to make your own mayo, that could be an option too. All that's needed for healthy mayo is eggs, olive oil, mustard, lemon juice and sea salt.
3. Nuts in salads instead of croutons
4. Rolled oats instead of bread crumbs (for breaded chicken, etc.)
5. Whole wheat flour instead of white flour
6. Ezekiel English muffin instead of a bagel
7. Zucchini ribbons or spaghetti squash instead of pasta
8. Almond milk instead of whole milk
9. Frozen natural fruits with cinnamon on top instead of ice cream
10. Baked apples with cinnamon instead of apple pie
These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Eating healthy doesn't have to be complicated--you just have to think outside of the box. =)
What's your favorite "substituted" recipe?