5.5 mile run (w/ strides at the top and bottom of every mile)
Hello friends and Happy National Catfish Day!
Did you know that June 25th is National Catfish Day? I know what you're thinking: that ugly fish?!
Ok ok, it may not be the cutest fish because of those creepy looking whiskers hanging off its mouth, but guess what, catfish are actually beneficial for your health.
- Catfish is low in calories. Three ounces of catfish is about 120 calories and 6.1 grams of fat (Hello weight loss!).
- One serving of catfish provides 220 mg of omega-3 fatty acids and 875 mg of omega-6. These healthy fatty acids are essential in your diet because they provide healthy brain function.
- One serving of catfish has about 15 grams of protein. This helps you build lean muscle mass and it helps improve your immune system (Good bye fat and good bye colds!).
- Catfish contains high levels of vitamin B-12, which aids in digestion and provides you with energy.
- This fresh-water fish is low in mercury, a contaminant that may impact your nervous system (and may affect pregnant women- Gulp!).
Your next thought might be that farm raised fish are loaded with GMOs (genetically modified organisms) and hormones, but guess what, there are organic farm-raised catfish producers, such as North Carolina's "Carolina Classics Catfish." Just be aware of the labels and make sure they say "GMO and hormone free" catfish.
So here's the delicious catfish recipe:
1. Heat a grill to medium-high and spray with cooking spray. (If you don't have a grill, you can use the oven. Bake at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes).
2. Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the olives, tomatoes, olive oil, parsley and lemon zest.
4. Grill the fish until it flakes easily when tested with a fork (about 4 minutes per side).
5. Divide the fish between the plates, top with the olive relish and sprinkle with the feta.
*You can have a side salad with the catfish.
Have you ever eaten catfish? Do you like it?
I'm grateful for the news talk radio
shows I hear on my morning drives
to work. Since I can't watch TV at work,
they provide all the important news of the day.