Hello friends and happy hump day!
I decided to put my running sneakers to the side today and I opted for a HIIT workout that had me drenched in sweat. Here was the workout:
Jump rope for 2 minutes
Medicine ball overhead squats for 1 minute
**This was done for 40 minutes with 30 seconds rest after every round of jumping rope and squatting
I've been craving some lean turkey so I gathered up some recipes and here's what I put together:
Oatmeal Turkey Meatballs
- 1.25 pounds of lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbs fresh basil
- 2 tbs fresh oregano
- 2 tbs fresh parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup oats (not the instant oats)
- 1 large egg, beaten
1. Mix eggs, oats and spices. Then add remaining ingredients and mix well.
2. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
*I like the turkey meatball recipe because I don't eat red meat, plus, it's a great source of lean protein. Also, notice that I used oats instead of bread crumbs. Oats is a healthier option than bread crumbs because it has less calories and more fiber.
Side Dish: Mashed Cauliflower
- Medium-sized head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp fresh chives, chopped
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Fill a large saucepan with about an inch of water and insert a steamer basket. Bring the water to a boil and add the cauliflower florets. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Steam for about 6-8 minutes.
2. Drain the steamed cauliflower and transfer to a food processor. Add the garlic cloves and the seasoning and process until smooth and creamy.
*I like the mashed cauliflower recipe because it's a good alternative to mashed potatoes. Cauliflower is a very versatile vegetable and it's a great option if you eat a low carb diet.
This is a nice American meal minus all the crazy calories that usually accompany it.
What are you having for dinner tonight?
P.S. Don't forget about the Newton Running Gear Giveaway!!!
I'm grateful for my daily devotional
book. The messages inspire me throughout the day.