1 medium sized butternut squash
Some fat, yes, FAT, such as bacon fat or butter
1 onion, diced
6oz of mushrooms, chopped
1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into pieces
1 medium apple, cut into pieces
Hint of salt
Hint of pepper
2-3 tsp dried rosemary
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp dried thyme
5 breakfast sausages, cut into pieces (I used Applegate Farms Chicken Apple Sausages- they are free of nitrates!)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Split the butternut squash long ways down the middle. Scoop out the guts and seeds.
3. Place them face down in a baking dish and fill the pan with about 1/4-1/2 inch of water. Place it in the oven and bake for about 30-45 minutes or until it's tender.
4. Meanwhile, heat a big skillet with the fat and add in the onions and mushrooms. Let that cook for a while and then add the apples and chicken.
5. When it's almost fully cooked, add in the salt and pepper, apple cider vinegar and the sausages.
6. When the squash is done, take it out of the oven and flip it. Scoop out the insides, leaving only about an inch of squash in the skin.
7. Fill up the squash with the chicken, apple and sausage and place it back in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.
I am grateful for all
the yummy Paleo recipes that friends
share with me.